quarta-feira, 8 de abril de 2009

Looking for Jack

In the cemetery, sat on a bench, there was a girl. She was too skinny and too white, but her hair was straight and black, the darkest hair you could ever see. Her hair was tied with a ribbon, a red one, she took it from some bouquet.

- You are too young to read this, girl.

Anna smiled softly, looking at the book. Then, she lifted her eyes to the man who had said those words. He was about forty, tall, a little brunet and his hair was so dark as his eyes.

- Am I? “She said still laughing.” How old do you think I am?
- Something around fifteen. “He answered looking suspicious.”
- I’m not that young, even though I’m young. I’m eighteen. Did you read this?
- Once. “He said.”
- Did you like it?
- Not at the first time I read.
- But… You said you read this once, just once. “She asked intricate.”
- And you are right, it was a long time ago, and I was an idiot. The rest of the times I lived it. “His eyes were shining.”
- So… this book is part of your soul. “She said in such a serious way.”
- A great part of it. “He smiled.” Can I sit?
- Yes, you can.

He sat next to her, someway, he was too nervous.

- So, were you an idiot one day?
- Yes, I was. “He was laughing”
- When?
- I was in the beginning of my twenties. I was a boy, a proud one without many feelings.
- How did you change?
- I met a girl, she was sat on a bench, as you are now. She was reading and she was just like you reading… you are untouchable, the world can’t reach you. You are here, in this ordinary life, but you are not at the fantasy world either. You couldn’t be, you aren’t dreaming, at least not just it. You are not in the world of the books, the stories. So you are somewhere in the middle of these three worlds.

Anna was curious about him.

- And this girl taught me about life, feelings, dreams, love and passion. She gave me this, “T. S. Eliot Poetry”. “He was pointing to the girl’s book.” Exactly this one, the one you are holding.

Anna was confused.

- So, are you Jack? “Anna asked surprised.”
- Yes, I’m Jack. “He answered looking down, to his feet.”
- I’ve been waiting for you for a long time. I’m tired, can you take me home? “She seemed so poorly saying that.”
- I didn’t know about you, till this morning when I receive Sarah’s letter. Why did she leave me?

At that time one tear dropped from his eyes.

- It was her destiny, nobody and nothing could hold her. I couldn’t either, so now she is dead. So please, take me home, you should take care of me now, as if we could go back eighteen years ago. I just can’t go on pretending that I’m strong and everything is ok.

Anna stood up, she had no shine inside her eyes anymore, her skin was pale and cold. Jack stood up too, his soul was somehow crashed, relieved and hopeful. Anna looked at him, then she fainted in his arms. Jack took her till his house, in his arms, looking how she was pretty, fragile and sweet. Even though he had never known about her before that day, he knew she had been already beloved by him, her father.

Um comentário:

  1. Outra boa narrativa. É difícil criar atmosferas mais soturnas sem apelativo. Gosto da sutilidade com que você conta suas histórias. Mas, aqui, sua professora de inglês não fica um pouquinho assustada, não?

    ResponderExcluir